Do you often look at your uneven smile in the mirror and wish you had a better-looking one? Dentistry not only aims at helping you maintain optimum oral hygiene but also ensures you sport a beautiful and attractive smile. Perhaps, two of the most popular cosmetic dental restorations are crowns and bridges.
What are crowns?
Dental crowns are ceramic restorations that are used to cover the outer surface of a severely damaged tooth completely. They look exactly like natural teeth but are hollow on the inside. Dentists and hygienists use crowns to restore teeth that are cracked, chipped, worn out, weak, or spaced too far apart from each other. Some of the advantages of crowns are as follows:
- Since crowns are made from tooth-colored ceramic material, they can be customized to mimic the exact appearance of the adjoining teeth. Anyone who takes a look at the restoration will not be able to distinguish it from the natural teeth.
- The crown will hold the underlying tooth intact and prevent it from going through further damage. This is quite a useful feature in the case of root canal infected teeth as they tend to become weak after the therapy.
- Crowns offer excellent durability and longevity. Even after several years of usage, their rate of wear will be quite negligible, provided you care for them well.
What are dental bridges?
Bridges are a simple means to restore extracted natural teeth from the mouth. They are a combination of a solid prosthetic tooth combined with crowns on either side. The crowns help to hold the tooth in position and prevent it from slipping off or getting displaced. As opposed to dental implants, bridges do not require surgery to be bonded in place. Some of the advantages of bridges are:
- As the bridge fills in the gap left by the missing tooth, it keeps the remaining teeth from drifting or gradually moving from their ideal positions. This prevents the onset of malocclusion as the teeth would maintain their orthodontically right positions.
- The ceramic bridge can be customized as required to match the appearance of the natural teeth.
- The material we use to fabricate the bridges are biocompatible and highly durable.
- If you were unable to bite and chew food properly after losing your natural tooth, the bridge helps you resume oral functionality. Also, your phonetics will be restored to normal.
Schedule an online appointment or call us at 602-368-4050 to have a consultation with our hygienist at Esperanza Dental Clinic, and we'll be able to guide you further.